We are looking for an intern to work in our Communications department in our National Office, located in Landover, MD. Candidates must be pursuing a bachelor's degree in communications, public relations, journalism or a related field. The ideal candidate will have an interest in health communications, and will have at least 15 hours a week that they can devote to working in our Landover office.
- Draft communication pieces and assist with projects including news briefs, press releases, articles, newsletters, fliers, reports, scripts, etc.
- Assist with social media (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Google +, YouTube, Pinterest, EventBrite and Ning)
- Assist with communications strategy planning and execution for our signature events: National Epilepsy Awareness Month, National Walk for Epilepsy and Kids Speak Up!
- Monitor the news for relevant stories for the epilepsy community
- Draft and or update website content
- Draft and/or edit articles for our award-winning magazine, epilepsyUSA
- Draft marketing pieces for our signature services, programs and events
- Communicate through e-mail and phone with advocates, volunteers, sponsors, media partners, board members, vendors and partner organizations to answer questions and/or provide information
- Provide support at events
- Provide support during filming and production of videos
- Complete other duties as assigned
We are willing to consider any level college student, but ideally would prefer at least a third year student. The internship is not paid, however you may earn class credit and there are many opportunities to receive excellent practical professional experience. Our office is walking distance to the New Carrollton metro station and has a large, free parking lot.
The candidate needs to be responsible, highly organized and be able to manage multiple projects simultaneously. They must have:
- Strong computer skills (Microsoft Office)
- Excellent writing skills
- Good proofreading skills
- Strong attention to detail
HOW TO APPLY:
If you are interested in this internship, please send your resume, cover letter and available hours to Ken Lowenberg at email@example.com.