Individual Gift Officer
Individual Gift Officer
*Position vacancies are in Michigan and Northeastern New York.*
The Individual Gift Officer is responsible for managing long-term relationships with major donors and prospects determined to have the ability to make gifts at or above $10,000.
The Individual Gift Officer reports to Senior Director of Development.This position is charged with developing and implementing strategies for securing financial support from a portfolio of 250 donors and prospects.The position will be responsible for identifying, qualifying, cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding major gifts for the foundation.
The Individual Gift Officer will work collaboratively with and in support of volunteers, development team members, and other representatives within the national office and affiliate to successfully cultivate and solicit donors.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Maintain an active portfolio of 250 leadership donors with 12-15 prospect/donor visits per month and 25 solicitations of $10,000+ per year. THERE WILL BE SIGNIFICANT TIME AND RESOURCES DEVOTED TO DONOR QUALIFICATION.
- Perform prospect research and create prospect profiles.
- Determine whether an individual is capable of making a major gift and devise appropriate strategy to bring this individual to solicitation and closure
- Develop and cultivate relationships with individual donors primarily through personal visits, through regular phone and letter contact with the goal of retaining and upgrading support
- Create proposal(s) to meet and exceed the donor's intentions.
- Assist with, or, when appropriate direct, the planning, execution and enhancement of special events designed to engage donors.
- Work with volunteers and national office and affiliate staff to develop and cultivate relationships.
- Design and provide regular updates to members of the development staff through reporting that updates dollars raised, prospect visits and prospects in the pipeline, and proposals presented.
- Willingness to work extended hours, including weekends and evenings.
- Willingness to travel.
- Minimum five years of fundraising experience.
- Proven experience in capital gift fundraising, and cultivating and soliciting prospects capable of five and six-figure gifts.The Individual Gift Officer must have a demonstrated gift solicitation history of $10,000 or more.
- Broad knowledge of the principles of fundraising – able to participate in all aspects of the gift cycle.
- Understanding of the needs and interests of major donors in order to develop relationships between them and the foundation.
- Bachelors Degree required.
Knowledge of –
- Major giving instruments and execution, record keeping, reporting and administration; current familiarity with income, gift and estate tax laws.
- Donor identification, prospect research, cultivation and solicitation techniques.
- Database management and fundraising software including solid analytical skills.
- Basic understanding of medical terminology and research.
Ability to –
- Communicate effectively with donors, volunteers and staff both verbally and in writing
- Work effectively with the national office and affiliate as an effective team member.
- Close gifts at a minimum of 5 figures.
- Prioritize tasks, track details, follow through and meet deadlines.
- Perform prospect research.
- Communicate effectively using technology.
- Solid relationship-building skills.
- Travel for donor visits (between 25% - 50%)
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Please include salary requirement. No phone calls please.