‘STAR TREK’ Crew Share Proper Epilepsy And Seizure First Aid
May 10, 2013
Chris Pine and Zachary Quinto, stars of the new film “Star Trek Into Darkness,” are talking about proper seizure first aid on www.talkaboutit.org/firstaid. Pine and Quinto can be seen again as Captain Kirk and Mr. Spock in the new film, opening May 16. “Star Trek Into Darkness” is directed by J.J. Abrams, a close personal friend of Talk About It founder and Epilepsy Foundation spokesperson Greg Grunberg, whose son lives with epilepsy.
Most seizures in people with epilepsy are not medical emergencies. They end after a minute or two without harm and usually do not require a trip to the emergency room.
As Pine and Quinto review in the video:
- Never put anything in the mouth of someone having a seizure.
- Make sure they are comfortable and safe.
- Turn the person on their side.
- Make sure their head is protected.
- Stay with the person until the seizure ends.
“The best you can do [to help someone having a seizure] is to be a friend,” says Pine.